Thursday, May 19, 2011

Samplings with Seitan

I will have to get better with pictures. Sunday I made Seitan corned beef and chicken cutlets. Daughter #2, Kate (check out her blog akateday ) is in the final days of getting her Master's degree and is a little on the stressed side so I made some dinners for her and her husband, Shane. Since they are vegan.....so were the meals. I first made Seitan corned beef and cabbage with carrots and potatoes and then made Seitan Picatta. Mmmmm. The Picatta turned out so well I made if for me and my husband Robb tonight and served it with whole wheat pasta and broccolini with garlic and olive oil. Here is a picture I took with my phone that I sent to a friend and culinary buddy while she and her man were eating at one of our favorite pizza restaurants, Ken's Artisan Pizza in Portland.





Here is a link to the corned beef and cabbage recipe. I added whole peppercorns, bay leaf, and  mustard seeds to the cooking liquid.www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFW9turegxI.  Sandwiches today for lunch with the "corned beef" along with mayo  (could use vegganaise), dijon mustard, romaine lettuce and finely sliced sweet onion on whole grain bread.  Delish!

This is how I made the Seitan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNFGMUASD28&feature=grec_index but I added vegan "chicken" bouillon, some spices, a small amount of oil and Bragg's Amino to the liquid. Once the Seitan  cutlets were cooked I drained them in a colander with a plate and weight on top to squeeze out some of the moisture. Way better than store bought Seitan and much less expensive.

Tonight was vegan mushroom stroganoff over whole wheat fusilli and broccolini.  Recipes will be coming.......I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment