Sunday, June 19, 2011

AK's Party


Yesterday we had a retirement celebration for my sister-in-law.  I have known Kathe for 33 years and now I consider her simply my sister.  Kathe, also known as A.K. (aunt Kathe) is one of the most special people I have ever met and I am not alone in that sentiment.  I volunteered to cook the food for her party.  A large undertaking but a true labor of love.  One of AKs request was ribs, so Robb and I started a few weeks ago cooking ribs in our new smoker and freezing them.  We cooked about 45 pounds of ribs!  

First batch in the new smoker
Just out of the smoker.  Hard to resist at this point

Along with a few of her amazing friends, Ellie, Pam and Lorraine, and my daughter Kate, we worked Friday morning preparing for the feast.  We had had received about 66 RSVPs at that time so I was planning food for 75.   I had such a wonderful time preparing for the party with her friends that I hope we can hang out together again sometime soon.

The sous chefs hard at work

The sous chefs kind of hard at work!

For appetizers we had antipasto skewers,  veggie dip and goat cheese with thyme and red onion.


Antipasto Skewers

I have to thank my oldest daughter Mona for the goat cheese recipe.  Thanks Mo!  It's now in my favorites list and also one of Kathe's favorite.  Easy to prepare and exceptionally good to eat.  
Goat Cheese - Couldn't snap the picture before the people starting digging in!

Goat Cheese with Red Onion and Thyme

1 log of goat cheese
1 red onion finely diced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (add more to taste but don't skimp here)
I use my Tuscan Seasoning Salt (hope to sell soon) but you can use salt and pepper and Italian  
   Seasoning of your choice
2-3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
1/4 cup good quality olive oil

Lay the goat cheese on a serving platter, cover with onions.  Sprinkle with thyme and seasoning.  Sprinkle with red wine vinegar and olive oil.  Set out at room temperature about an hour before serving.  If there is a collection of oil and vinegar, use it to baste the goat cheese until serving.  Serve with crackers or baguette.


For the main course: BBQ ribs with homemade BBQ sauce, chicken teriyaki skewers, tofu teriyaki skewers, pasta salad, caesar salad with feta and sun-dried tomatoes, and asian coleslaw.

Well the party was a big hit.  Thanks to every one who helped with the preparation of the food and most of all, kisses to AK and Happy Retirement!

No comments:

Post a Comment