Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Under a Pile of Rubble

Do you ever wonder how you collected all that stuff that is cluttering up your house? When my house is cluttered, my mind is cluttered, my life is cluttered . I save items......

I have 2 boxes of salt and peppers shakers, most of which my dad gave me, sitting in our storage unit (oh yes we have a storage unit to help us keep more stuff we don't need). Hopefully my dad is in some other universe smoking a Winston and drinking some Old Crow on the rocks, but since he's no longer here, I have a hard time getting rid of them. So every few years I unpack them, reminisce, and repack them for a few more years. Thus - the storage unit.

In storage we also have a desk of my grandmother's from when she taught school, thousands of our son Ben's baseball cards, Teddie Ruxpin and numerous Beanie Babies and other toys and school memorabilia of Kate's, Christmas decorations, and several sails (in case we need a spare!).

At home, for instance, I have 12 glass luncheon plates with cups that belonged to my grandmother. I have had them for about 25 years and have used them once. Numerous bowls, glasses and plates that I'm sure belonged to someone I'm related to, a half hide of black leather that I was going to use to make motorcycle riding pants for Robb (about 30 years ago), more clothes than I will ever need, old sporting equipment, wine and beer making supplies, a full wet suit....you get the idea!

I would love to live with much less stuff, I just need the boost to give some of it away. Kate is having a garage sale soon so I am making an effort to gather up what I can in the next week. She also has been recommending I take pictures of the things I can't seem to get rid of but never use. Then I can get rid of things and I'll have the pictures to remember them by and someone may get some good use out of them or at least store them at their house. Sounds like a good idea.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Not the salt and pepper shakers!!!! I love your collection, think about what lovely gifts they would make to all your girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Sunday was the start of a summer of purging.

    ReplyDelete